Monday, September 3, 2012


am·big·u·ous/amˈbigyo͞oəs/
Adjective:
(of language) Open to more than one interpretation; having a double meaning.
Unclear or inexact because a choice between alternatives has not been made.

I chose to create this design because it suggests more than one option, or according to the definition above, more than one interpretation. The triangles creating a repetitive pattern in the middle of the 2 main triangles framing the work conclude that there is more than simply the outside of anything..but in this case a complicated inside that varies. When I created this particular design, I thought about people I know, have encountered,and close friends. The people I know who are ambiguous are not at all weak nor indecisive, but simply open to opinions and continually discovering. The triangles in the middle represent options or alternatives that have not been chosen by the 2 main shapes.
























de·ter·mi·na·tion/diˌtərməˈnāSHən/
Noun:
Firmness of purpose; resoluteness.
The process of establishing something exactly, typically by calculation or research.

When I think of determination I think of always rising up or moving forward despite challenges. I wanted to create a solid design that reiterated the idea of overcoming obstacles and continual pursuit. The stacked circles represent levels and the repetition of circles concurs completion of those levels (or obstacles) The figure knows where it is going, despite the awkward space that challenges it's balance. I thought of this poem when I was creating my design, the repetition shown in the poem with the circles. Determined people repeat and never give up.

Try Try Again
by T. H. Palmer
‘Tis a lesson you should heed,
Try, try again;
If at first you don’t succeed,
Try, try again;
Then your courage should appear,
For if you will persevere,
You will conquer, never fear,
Try, try again.
Once or twice, though you should fail,
Try, try again;
If you would at last prevail,
Try, try again;
If we strive, 'tis no disgrace
Though we do not win the race;
What should you do in the case?
Try, try again
If you find your task is hard,
Try, try again;
Time will bring you your reward,
Try, try again
All that other folks can do,
Why, with patience, should not you?
Only keep this rule in view:
Try, try again.

























cha·ot·ic/kāˈätik/
Adjective:
In a state of complete confusion and disorder.
Of or relating to systems that exhibit chaos.

I chose this design because I thought of myself, and because I didnt have enough wood to make something as "thought out" as my other designs. When I am chaotic I am miserably attempting to pull myself together. This is what these long pieces of balsa wood are trying to do; become something. In the end however, it is not. Chaotic is not a permanent state of being, yet temporary.
















du·bi·ous/ˈd(y)o͞obēəs/
Adjective:
Hesitating or doubting.
Not to be relied upon; suspect.


When I made this design, all I could think about was the word unstable. I wanted to make forms on top of one another that looked unreliable..like it was about to collapse if touched.